That is a very valid question! And yes, part of me probably has fallen head over heels in love, where as the other part thinks it's all arse over tits! I don't know how this might work, when it might happen and nor the if's and what's and why's ... It's all very fucked up! Me living here, having too much respect to want to hurt the housemate ex, but not really seeing a way out fast either. Running away together ... nice idea, but not practical and it would drive me insane. I know I need some sort of stability, so do the dogs and my elderly cat. In principle I wouldn't mind moving, even if it is the other side of the country or even Ireland or Scotland. There is not that much, that keeps me in Bristol. But ... there need to be certain basics in place first, i.e. a place to live. And there is not! What is a girl to do? He might have to go away for a few weeks anyway, so that might be an opportunity to feel how I really feel ... if that makes sense. At the moment I am so messed up, it's been too unexpected and sort of unwanted too.On top of that, I have real concerns about a friend of mine. As her father died recently, she lost a very important link in life and seems to be completely cracking up ... to the extend of suicidal tendencies. I do try and talk to her, but not a lot seems to be sinking in. She combats her long-faring depression with anti-d's, drink and weed. Not a good combination as I know from experience. On the other hand I do understand the need to take the pain away. I have tried steering her into the direction of grievance counselling and subsequently behavioural counselling (she is doing counselling for sexual abuse already), but she has voiced the opinion, that it "doesn't do any good anyway". I was trying to point out to her, that the counselling she is receiving at the moment is wrong. There comes a time when it isn't conducive to delve into the past any more, but when the pick-up (i.e. behavioural counselling) is needed. I feel she is dwelling too much on her horrific past instead of looking to a brighter future. At the moment she is staying with a friend, so I know she is safe, but eventually she will have to return to her flat which is in a very unkind, racist area and the behaviour she displays in that area doesn't help either. She has been trying to flat swap or get another property from the council for months, but nothing doing. I do want to be a friend, but it is wearing me out to quite an extend. Any tips???



#1: I know how that woman's head feels! I feel just like that, esp. 1st thing in the morning ...
ReplyDelete#2: love ~ can't give you any advice there, I'm afraid ...
#3: eloping somewhere: the Hebrides are meant to be really nice ... if I ran up to Scotland I think I might go even further afield, to Orkney or even Shetland ... very picturesque indeed.
Orkney has a Scandinavian history, I think...
Have you been watching that BBC1 documentary about that Northern Scottish fishing trawler with the "characterful" old man and his son who got a rope jumping up and squashing his testicles?... They're from Orkney, I do believe...
heyyy gleddie, how nice to hear from you. did u get my 2 emails? as u didnt answer, u might not have ...
ReplyDeletefunny u should say that, i always wanted to live on either the shetlands or the orkneys :-) in fact, before u wrote ur comment, i was google earth'ing both places. wanna come with me?? i did see a bit of that documentary, but not all of it. :-(
hugs xx
Fishy, glad that you are in love. It has its moments of rapture for sure.
ReplyDeleteThe Shetland Islands definitely gets my vote, if you can put up with the short winter days there. Ooohhh!!! This is so exciting: if you found someone to fall in love with, so could I!
ReplyDeletethe falling in love thing is a delicious dilemma. You'll figure it out.
ReplyDeleteTo me, it sounds as if you've done exactly right by your bereaved friend--expressed concerns, suggested some things that might help. Even if she isn't responding well to your advice, some of it may be slowly seeping in. Just staying in touch with her is probably a great help.
Fishy,
ReplyDeleteI am happy for you and your new-found love.
I think the most important thing you can do as a friend is just to show up and be there.
Love, SB.